Re: NT server, pro/con

From: Tracey Brown <Capstead_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 22 Feb 1995 14:25:56 GMT

G'Day All

In <D4668H.H9K_at_world.std.com> shf_at_world.std.com (Stephen H Fick) writes:

>While working on an assignment to choose a database product,
>I've just been asked to look into using an NT server
>rather than a Sun Solaris 2.x server.
>
>I'm interested in hearing people's evaluation of the merits
>and demerits of an NT server in a server/client RDB
>environment. Speed, reliability, security, expandability,
>ease of learning the system administration work, ease of
>performing it--talking here about the NT side of things,
>not the RDB side--are obvious areas of concern. Are there
>others? How does NT stack up, to date?

Steve,

Here is my 2 cents worth <g>.

We currently have six NT/SQL Servers that we are running. These are mainly Compaq boxes, with one on an AST Box. In my experience (I'm the DBA) these machines have been fairly easy to support both from the SQL Side and the NT side.

IMHO NT is definitely easier to support, install, etc than say Unix and the such. The speed, reliability, security of NT are all very good. System administration is pretty easier both to learn and administer.

We have been running NT and SQL Server since October of 1993 in a production environment and in that time we have had one server hang twice for no apparent reason and it has been almost a year since the last freeze. We have found NT to be a very, very stable environment.

Only two areas of concern. Firstly, I don't believe that NT is as scalable as say Unix can be i.e. able to support as wide a range of hardware as Unix does today. However, that is changing. Secondly, the only real area of difficulty that we have had is in the initial installation of NT on machines that were just a tad<g> non-standard. However, to be fair to NT some of the hardware we originally used was not on the Hardware compatability list.

Any way hope this helps.

Dennis Littlewood. Received on Wed Feb 22 1995 - 15:25:56 CET

Original text of this message