Moving from Character VAX to GUI Windows??

From: Andrew J Davis <s075_at_dcta.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 15:17:17 +0000

I'd be grateful for any feedback on the following :

We currently have an Oracle7 database on a VAX (including Oracle Forms, Reports Menu tools), accessing all apps. via Terminal emulation (Reflection) from Windows 3.1 client PCs. All PCs are connected to a Novell 4.1 server (where they get Reflections from). We also use SQL*Net for client-server using Forest & trees.

The proposed next step is to GUI for the apps. Does developing on a small NTAS server make sense, copying the run-time GUI code to the Novell server (assuming the NT server can see the Novell drives?). The client PCs would then use the SQL*Net already installed to access the VAX, where the database would continue to reside.

Another alternative is to use an Oracle NLM on our 4.1 Novell server, but I'd prefer to keep the development s/w separate on a different (better?) platform.

--
Andrew J Davis