Re: Newbie question: how to change ownership of a table

From: Roderick Manalac <rmanalac_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 22 Feb 95 01:52:54 GMT

Jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk (Jonathan Lewis) writes:
|> : > >
|> : > > CREATE TABLE new_owner.table
|> : > > as SELECT * FROM old_owner.table
|> : > >
|> Note: 'Create table as select from table' does _not_ use rollback segments
|> or redo log whilst the statement is executing. Depending on Oracle version,
|> I belive the only redo overhead is a final copy into the redo log of the
|> completed table.
|>
|> On top of this, I bet there's a CPU cost of translation in import that
|> does not exist in the 'create table as' option.
|>
|> --
|> Jonathan Lewis

Some rollback will be generated to undo the data dictionary changes that have to be made to describe the new table and the extent(s) it will occupy. Redo for the data being loaded into the table does get generated (and eventually flushed to the logs) both for the data dictionary changes and while the table is populated with data.

In a future release, CREATE TABLE .. AS SELECT .. will also include an UNRECOVERABLE option as well as a PARALLEL option as it emulates what is done during parallel direct path loads.

Roderick Manalac
Oracle Corporation

DISCLAIMER: My posting not my company's. Received on Wed Feb 22 1995 - 02:52:54 CET

Original text of this message