Re: sga and shared pool size

From: Lisa Roderick <lisa.roderick_at_mko.mts.dec.com>
Date: 20 Feb 1995 21:19:54 GMT

In article <3i2ul6$gqt_at_lucy.infi.net>, gtravis_at_richmond.infi.net says...

>As the subject suggests, I would like to know the correlation between the
>parameter 'shared_pool_size' in the init.ora file - to the output from
>the 'show sga' command in sqldba. Basically, if I want to giv ethe
>oracle server 35 MB of memory, how do I do that? Where is this number
>entered in the init file? or is it?

When you do a show sga within SQL*DBA, you're seeing the total size of the data dictionary cache, shared pool, and redo log buffer.

When you start an Oracle instance, you grab a chunk of memory each for the database buffer cache, shared pool (SQL area), and redo log buffer. These three memory buffers are the SGA. shared_pool_size is the init.ora parameter for setting the size of the Shared SQL Area.

Likewise, if you change the init.ora parameter db_block_buffers, you're changing the size of the database buffer cache which also yields a change to the results of SQL*DBA show sga.

--
Lisa Roderick
Applications Systems Engineering Performance Group