Re: Pro*C Null column error

From: Mark Hessling <mark_at_snark.itc.gu.edu.au>
Date: 20 Feb 1995 03:14:58 GMT

jhalpin_at_netcom.com (Joe Halpin) writes:

>In article <46_at_codastore.win-uk.net> aspeir_at_codastore.win-uk.net (Allan Speir) writes:
>>I've just recently compiled a Pro*C program under Oracle V7.0 using
>>v1.5 of the precompiler. Previously this was compiled under Oracle
>>version 6 with no trouble. It compiles OK but at run time I get
>>ORA-1405 Column returns null value. This is correct because some of
>>the queries do return rows containing null values. My question is what
>>has changed, and is there any way to avoid this without
>>explicitly coding handlers to deal with ORA-1405.

>There are a couple ways that I know of. One is to use indicator
>variables and check them for null values. If you use an indicator
>variable with version 7.x you won't get a runtime error. The other way
>is to set one of the Pro*C command line options to put version 6
>semantics into effect for this. I don't have my manual here and don't
>remember what it's called, but it's described clearly in the Pro*C
>manual in the chapter on running the precompiler.

>Joe
>--
>Joe Halpin
>jhalpin_at_netcom.com
We have just had the same problem: use DBMS=V6 and MODE=ORACLE precompiler switches.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Hessling                         Email: M.Hessling_at_gu.edu.au
DBA,ITS                               Phone: +617 875 7691
Griffith University                   Fax:   +617 875 5314
Nathan, Brisbane                      ***** PDCurses Maintainer *****
QLD 4111                              *** Author of THE and GUROO ***
Australia                             ======= Member of RexxLA ======