Re: renaming the system tablespace datafile

From: Ajoy Cherian <tulcoc_at_ccnet.com>
Date: 19 Feb 1995 16:22:07 -0800

R Glenn Stauffer (stauffer_at_cc.swarthmore.edu) wrote:
: Unfortunately, although the Oracle documentation says that the SYSTEM
: tablespace datafile can be movde, this method does not work since the
: SYSTEM tablespace cannot be taken offline. I have been told that the only
: viable option is to create a new database instance with the file where I

    ^^^^^ Before u do anything drastic like this try the following- if
          its not too late...

   (Tried it out on my m/c - UNIX OS - and apparently it worked. I used to     do this excerice for relocating the datafiles to another directory.     Guess it worked for renaming datafiles as well!!)    Connect as internal in sqlda
   Issue the command alter database backup controlfile to trace    This will create a .trc file in the user dump directory.(the filename    will be ora_<ospid>.trc eg ora_1234.trc)    Shutdown the database.
   Edit the trace file to change the datafile name .
     Say for eg if the old system data file is called
     system01.dbf change it to newname_uwant.XX in the trace file.
   using ur OS command rename the file.
   say for eg mv system01.dbf newname_uwant.XX    connect as internal in sqldba.
   run the trace file in sqldba by _at_ora_1234.trc.
     This will open the databse with nomount and create the new control
     file(s). Remeber to mount the db for resuming db operations after this.

   (Using these steps u are recreating the control files with the new data     file names u want.)

good luck!!
ajoy cherian Received on Mon Feb 20 1995 - 01:22:07 CET

Original text of this message