Re: How do you create 2 dbs on the same machine

From: Robert Jones <rjj_at_dryland.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 1995 12:52:24 GMT

In article <199502142131.VAA00770_at_dracon.scms.rgu.ac.uk>, cs5gr_at_scms.rgu.ac.UK (Graeme Raffan) wrote:

>I would like to know if it is possible to create another separate
>database with its own files on the same machine?
>There is currently the "scms" database on the machine. Would there
>be a problem with the ORACLE_SID with 2 dbs on the same machine?

This is no problem - at one time we had 3 Oracle 6 databases and 2 Oracle 7 databases all running at the same time. Just make sure you set ORACLE_SID correctly and you have a init<sid>.ora file created when you create the second database. To switch databases for a user, just change the value of ORACLE_SID.

rjj_at_dryland.demon.co.uk         Kalamazoo ANSWER Limited
rjj_at_ix.compulink.co.uk          Oracle Software House
                                All opinions are mine, all mine.