Re: Help with PO7 error when logging on

From: Paul Bash <pbash_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 18 Feb 1995 03:17:07 GMT

hackneyd_at_ix.netcom.com (Douglas Hackney) wrote:

> In <3gprur$mem_at_cville-srv.wam.umd.edu> alwong_at_wam.umd.edu (The Divine
> Being) writes:
>

> > Obviously I am a newbie, I am having difficulties connecting
> >into Oracle - SQL-Plus, SQL DBA.. Evertime I enter the default
> >logon name. scott/tiger or sytem/manager it will give me the following
> >errors.
> >
> > ora-01034: oracle not available
> > ora-09243: smsget: error attaching to sga
> > osd-01104: unable to attach to sga: sga does not exist.
> >

> >Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >

> I'm a newbie to PO7W also. I spent last week getting it up for a client
> project.
>
> The only time I recall seeing this error was when I had forgotten to
> start the database up before trying to connect. Also, make sure you're
> trying to 'connect internal'.
>
> Use the database manager to start up the database. The default password
> as shipped is 'Oracle'.
>
> You'll also want to use the:
> username: sys
> pw: CHANGE_ON_INSTALL
>
> to setup users and change default passwords, etc.
>
> I had good luck getting PO7W up and connected to MS Access, importing
> databases, etc. Some challenges getting 3rd party tools to get hooked up
> to it with ODBC & native SQL*NET.
>
> Also tried O7W workgroups Beta, it worked very well also, other than the
> object manager locking and/or crashing pretty regularly. Amazingly
> stable considering how many times I had to reboot (SOP with windows).
>

> --
> Doug Hackney hackneyd_at_ix.netcom.com

I have worked for Oracle consulting in the UK as a DBA and I would not recommend connecting as SYS at any time. All DBA activities such as adding users and altering the database structure should be carried out as the SYSTEM user whose default password (assigned during installation) is MANAGER. SYS is effectively the Oracle superuser and owns the data dictionary structures which are essential for Oracle to function correctly. As the SYS user you have the privilege to alter or drop these structures which is not advisable.

Regards,

Paul Bash

Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and not those of my employer. Received on Sat Feb 18 1995 - 04:17:07 CET

Original text of this message