Re: Newsgroup for ORACLE jobs ????

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_helios.unl.edu>
Date: 17 Feb 1995 19:16:01 GMT

aaj_at_phantom.trl.OZ.AU (Tony Jambu) writes:

:In article <3gt8pc$f3e_at_pong.lasc.lockheed.com>, g592291_at_mip.lasc.lockheed.com
:(Terry Veli) writes:

:>
:> How about a new newsgroup like comp.databases.oracle.jobs
:> to keep the job posting out of our newsgroups. I have been
:> annoyed by Ajay M Gandhi posting the same job over and over
:> here and on misc.jobs.contracts,misc.jobs.offered etc...
:>
:COMP.DATABASES.ORACLE.CLASSIFIED woudl be nice. This :can include jobs, products and new releases of software.

Things like product announcements, release information, etc. could also go in a moderated newsgroup (comp.databases.oracle.announce). I guess there would be some 'for sale' type postings that could go in a .classified group, but that's never been a big part of the traffic here.

For that matter, there are two trains of thought that argue against a .jobs group. First, those posts REALLY belong over in misc.jobs. Second, the folks who post most of them (especially the bulk posters) generally don't follow the 'rules' anyway, so should we create a .jobs group just so they can ignore it? (This has been a problem on USENET for quite a while and continues to get worse as traffic and groups increase.)

I plan to put a .jobs group in the proposed charter anyway, we can see what kind of arguments it generates when the RFD hits the street. (My laptop died last night, so I didn't get ANY work done on the charter.)

---
Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie
nolan_at_notes.tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.geis.com
(posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)