How to create a copy of an Instance?

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_helios.unl.edu>
Date: 14 Feb 1995 18:36:55 GMT

What's the easiest way to create a duplicate copy of an instance on the same machine but with files in different directories? (with a different SID, obviously)

I'm looking for a way to test some disk reorganization schemes (RAID drives, mainly) before actually moving my production database.

I will be doing this at a time of day when I can shut down the 'live' instance.

(This is one of those questions that only crops up from time to time,
but probably belongs in the DBA FAQ.)

---
Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie
nolan_at_notes.tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.geis.com

(posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)