Need Oracle7/WinNT 3.5 ODBC Help

From: David G. Dugal <dugal_at_ultranet.com>
Date: 12 Feb 1995 01:29:10 GMT

Hi All,

Can someone please help a VERY naive-and-new-to-WinNT 3.5/Oracle7 person?

I can't seem to connect to an Oracle7 database running on an NT Server from another machine running NT Workstation. Here's my scenario:

I have an NT Server running Oracle7 (server and client) and SQL*Net using Named Pipes. On a second machine, I have an NT Workstation running Oracle7 client and SQL*Net. All the Oracle tools appear to work fine (SQL*Plus, User Manager, Object Manager, etc). Also installed on the NT Workstation is Visual C++, Microsoft ODBC, and Oracle ODBC.

I created two data sources: TEST1 using Microsoft SQL Server and TEST2 using Oracle7 ODBC. My ODBC.INI now looks something like this:

[ODBC Data Sources]

        TEST2=Oracle7

[TEST2]
Driver=C:\WINNT35\SYSTEM\sqora7.dll Server=P:FOOP
[ODBC 32 bit Data Sources]
TEST1=SQL Server (32 bit)
[TEST1]
Driver32=C:\WINNT35\System32\sqlsrv32.dll

Now, I have some code that basically does the following (taken from help examples):

    	SQLAllocEnv (&henv);
        SQLAllocConnect (henv, &hdbc);
	SQLConnect (hdbc, "TEST1", SQL_NTS, "SCOTT", SQL_NTS,
		    "TIGER", SQL_NTS);
        SQLAllocStmt (hdbc, &hstmt);

First off, if I try to use TEST2, I get an error telling me that it can't find the data source. I can't find anything that is obviously out of place or missing.

Next, I tried using TEST1. It looks like it finds the data source, but it returns an SQL_ERROR. When I do an SQLError on it, the sqlstate is "01000" and the error message is something like "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][dbnmpntw]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile())". The next statement (SQLAllocStmt) returns an sqlstate of "08003" and the error "[Microsoft][ODBC DLL]Connection not open". I seem to get this no matter how I change/modify the data source.

On a suggestion, I changed TEST1 network library parameter to DBNMP3 which actually made a difference. Now, on the SQLConnect, I get an sqlstate of "S1000" and error message of "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Unable to load communication module. Driver has not been correctly installed."

I've tried reinstalling things and now I'm getting an error in the ODBC Admin that says "The ODBC driver setup Generic Thunk [GT] may not function properly with an application run from the windows system directory. The application should be installed in a different directory." [NOTE: It didn't let me select a directory during installation of any of the ODBC drivers.]

So does anybody have a clue for the clueless? Any suggestions, things I should check, things I may be doing wrong, things I should try? This is my first venture out of VMS-land, and I don't appear to be doing very well. I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks in advance!

  • Lisa Dugal (Lisa_Dugal_at_OneSource.com)