Re: Personal Oracle7 Slow

From: Youri N. Podchosov <ynp_at_ynp.dialup.access.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 05:40:50 EST

In article <3hdjue$ptr_at_relay.tor.hookup.net>, Steve Macdonald <smacdonl_at_toronto.cbc.ca> writes:

|> It became apparent to me very quickly that 16 Mb is an absolute
|> minimum for running PO7. There is a difference between the
|> "Oracle 7 & SQLPlus" and the "Oracle 7, No SQLPlus" configurations

            ^^^^^^^                        ^^^^^^^

|> however, albeit a small one. Loading both Oracle and SQL*Plus
^^^^^^^^

|> on one of our 486-66 16Mb machines yields 0 bytes of physical
|> RAM free. This means that front end tools such as VB will be
|> forced to run largely from Virtual memory and hence the slow
|> performance you reported. Loading Oracle without SQLPlus yields
                                                 ^^^^^^^

|> about 900K of RAM free on our machine - a bit of an improvement
|> but not much. I hope to get a chance to load PO7 on a larger box
|> (Pentium 90 with 256Mb RAM) this week to try to determine just how
|> much RAM PO7 will grab given an essentially unlimited supply.

You mean "PL/SQL" not "SQL*Plus" don't you? (why would you need to run SQL*Plus simultaneously with anything else?)

| Youri N. Podchosov (ynp) *** Davidsohn & Son, Inc. NYC *** 718-234-4140 | | Internet: ynp_at_ynp.dialup.access.net CIS: 72723,2202 AOL: ynp, yourip |