Re: Backup Recovery Strategy for Large Database

From: Hr.Kuhn <helmut_at_d255s271.mch.sni.de>
Date: 10 Feb 1995 15:09:40 GMT

Just a short question: If I do a hot backup of my database in parts (e.g. tablespace by tablespace) from raw-device (or file-system) to a file-system, the backup of the database-part is very fast. If something is damaged (e.g. one data-file of one tablespace), I always have to restore only the damaged datafile and tell Oracle to recover the data-file. I think that it's one of the advantages of Oracle, that you can "restore the database in parts" and that you are not forced to do a complete consistent backup of the whole database.
Another solution is to buy a jukebox and use Legato's Networker. My company e.g. sells a jukebox with 100 GB capacity (internall 2 tape drives with 10 GB per tape) and our networker is able to make usage of both tape drives at the same time. BTW: Networker can also be used to make remote backups of Oracle databases on a second machine.
I personally think, that it's not necessary to use 3 disks for mirroring, switch one mirrored disk off and backup this disk, then do a catchup for offline disk after bringing it online again (proposal of an article before).

Regards
Helmut

--
Helmut Kuhn                               Tel:   +49 89 636-2887
Siemens-Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG    Fax:   +49 89 636-48332