Re: Oracle on DEC ALPHA

From: George C Wong <gcwong_at_interlog.com>
Date: 10 Feb 1995 19:16:54 GMT

adrian_at_a-cha.demon.co.uk (Adrian P Challinor) wrote:

> In article <3grai4$eal$1_at_mhadf.production.compuserve.com>, Rich Gaston
> <75457.515_at_CompuServe.COM> wrote:
>
> > Lisa, thanks for the followup. I just received email from
> > Oracle, and it sounds like we're going to set up a conference
> > call with a couple of people in Oracle's DEC products group.
> >
> > We're using OpenVMS AXP 6.1 on a 7000-620 dual-processor Alpha
> > VAX (512Mb RAM).
> >
> > I'm pretty interested in the 2100 servers - heard a lot of good
> > reviews, and they're definitely economical. One question I have
> > at this point is:
> > Are the larger servers like ours tuned as general-purpose
> > machines (Pathworks, VAX apps, etc.) ?? Is the 2100 tuned as a
> > database server ? The ads certainly seem to confirm this. Are
> > there steps we can take to optimize our 7000 for Oracle??
> >
> > Rich
>
> We use a DEC Alpha 2100 mp600, thats the rack mounted system, with 20gb of
> disk. The disks are striped in hardware, mirrored with LSM and made
> available with ASM. I had an Oracle consultant in to load Oracle kernel on
> it. He came back and said he thought it had failed because it was just too
> fast! This is a very nice box indeed.
>
> --
> Adrian Challinor
> CEO, Osiris Consultants Ltd

We're using 2 DEC Alpha 2100 Model4/200 with 256M and 26G of disks, we have experienced and increase of speed on CPU intensive tasks but we had earlier versions of DEC Alpha 3500 and 4600. At first when we brought up the 2100s they seemed very fast and din't even notice the bootup.

But with Oracle - the machines still are unbalanced with respect to IO and CPU. This leads to jobs to bottlenecked on IO and it not much better with the 2100s as users access the system.

George Wong
D1.SQL Consultants Received on Fri Feb 10 1995 - 20:16:54 CET

Original text of this message