ODBC and Open Cursors

From: Scott T Johnson <sarek_at_cais3.cais.com>
Date: 8 Feb 1995 23:13:06 GMT

Hi all,
  I working on a project using Visual Basic Prof and ODBC to attach to an Oracle database. I have written code to generate several queries to check for valid data and then insert the data into the database. All of this is using ODBC calls:

    Set ds = dB.CreateDynaset(SQLQuery, DB_SQLPassThrough)     DoEvents

where SQLQuery is a select or update. This code is in a loop and may be executed from 1 to 300 times and passing differents SQL statements.
The problem: After ~100 Inserts, ODBC returns the error: ORA-6512, ORA-1000 max cursor exceeded. I have raised to open cursors in Oracle to 200 but still have the same problem. I have even sent a commit to the database after every 50 records. Is it possible to close the cursor after a call like the one above?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott T. Johnson
Systems Engineer
SHL Systemhouse

Scott T. Johnson Internet: sarek_at_cais.com SHL Systemhouse, Inc. CIS: 73052,2500 +1 703 438-7300 "Resistance is futile, Number one" -Picard