Problems installing Oracle 7.0.15 on SGI using Irix 5.2

From: Dr. Dave Winkler <d.winkler_at_chem.csiro.au>
Date: 9 Feb 1995 03:34:00 GMT

I have struck a problem when I get to the ./orainst stage to begin installation on a Personal Iris reunning Irix 5.2. I get a fatal error from ./orainst.cm which complains that it can't find a file called 'libsocket.so'. This file is not on any of our various SGI machines including one running Oracle 6. I would have thought it would be installed during the standard Irix installation. Has anyone struck this?
I'm also confused about 1-task vs 2-task and SQL*Net V1 vs V2. I will use the SGI as an Oracle server connected to Macintoshes running client software over a TCP/IP network. Which of the above are the appropriate options. I'm new to this as you can see and am a drug designer, not a database expert.
Thanks. Received on Thu Feb 09 1995 - 04:34:00 CET

Original text of this message