Re: Oracle Novell sites?

From: Henry Harrison <hharriso_at_tdc.dircon.co.uk>
Date: 8 Feb 1995 18:04:09 GMT

jguidera_at_dorsai.org wrote:

: In article <3h808q$gi3_at_aplcomm.jhuapl.edu>, <ahlbrsd1_at_jhuapl.edu> writes:
: >
: > I'll jump in - I didn't ask the original question but
: > we are looking into an application that is being ported
: > to Oracle on Netware for us. Our business department
: > is also migrating to Oracle but on a VAX. Will we be
: > compatable with them if we run Oracle on Netware?
: > Will I be able to access their data as an Oracle file?
: > How seamless is Oracle?
: >

: So long as you are able to implement an IP listener on the VAX (you most
: definitely can on Netware) you should have no problem accessing the data on
: either database server. You will need the appropriate tools for the operating
: system you intend to access Oracle from (windows/dos/AIX/Vax, etc). You will
: also need to install IP and Oracle's Sql*Net product with the IP adapter on
: your clients. While you could also use SQL*Net with the SPX adapter for
: Netware, i'd reccomend going strictly with IP.

: Best of luck!

: jguidera_at_dorsai.org

Do be aware that there is a bug in the out-of-the-box IP listener for NetWare - it leaks memory and abends the server after a couple of days.

I believe that Oracle have recently released a patch.

Henry Harrison
Views expressed are my own and not those of my employer. Received on Wed Feb 08 1995 - 19:04:09 CET

Original text of this message