Re: The Most FLEXIBLE + POWERFUL Report Writer???

From: David J. Gimpelevich <davidgi_at_rossinc.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 18:29:58 GMT

In <3gmu91$n8l_at_panix.com> marin_at_panix.com (Thomas M. Marin) writes:

>I currently work in the IS department of a medium size company.
>We have a 16 gigabyte data base (with about 250 tables) on
>a VAX 6000. The most pressing problem we have is to provide
>reports to our end-users in a timely fashion. We are currently
>writing C programs using the Oracle Call Interface (OCI) routines
>to develop our reports. To provide flexibilty, most of these C
>programs perform the follwing steps:

>step1: select data from several different tables
>step2: from this selected data, create a temporary Oracle table
>step3: then selecting from this temporary table, generate the report
>step4: delete the temporary table

>By creating the temporary table, this allows you to take advantage
>of Oracles's sorting and sub-totaling capability.

>Although, the above mentioned process works, it is very time
>consuming to develop and test each new report. We have looked
>at SQL*ReportWriter and it not flexible or powerful enough for
>out needs. Does anybody know of a very powerful and flexible
>report writer that they are using in their IS department
>that enables them to quickly and easily generate reports for
>their end_users. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A few years ago I have used SQR (from MITI) with Sybase and was impressed with its power and flexibility.

We even wrote a (rather simple) expert system using it. it works with Oracle as well.

SQR can be used via an easy front end, called EasySQR, or you can just start writing SQR code. It is essentially a very good batch/report language.

Hope this helps.

-djg Received on Wed Feb 08 1995 - 19:29:58 CET

Original text of this message