Re: Backup Recovery Strategy for Large Database

From: GPOLISNE_at_DELPHI.COM <(GPOLISNE_at_DELPHI.COM)>
Date: 8 Feb 1995 17:12:12 -0500

dvick_at_lanier.com (Don Vick) writes:

>>I'd be interested to know of any performance degradation when you mirror the
>>disks containing the database. We have thought of this, but it takes 4 hours
>>or so to fully update the mirror disks, and performance suffers during this
>>period. We're on VAX/VMS here.
>>

>The systems people tell me there is a noticeable performance degradation
>during mirroring. Operations schedules it during a light-load period, so
>it has not been a problem for us. This on a Sequent with multiple Pentiums.

>Don
>Donald E. Vick (dvick_at_lanier.com, dvick_at_crl.com)
>Voice: (404) 493-2194 Fax: (404) 493-2399

An expensive but worthwhile strategy for 24x7 shops is to deploy three of mirrors. Therefore, you are always protected with a mirrored pair. The 3rd set can be unsync'd, backed up (perhaps using AT&T's ComVault or similar product) and resync'd with your production mirrored pair. (See ... it really is all done with mirrors !)

George A. Polisner Received on Wed Feb 08 1995 - 23:12:12 CET

Original text of this message