Personal Oracle7 Slow

From: Timothy King <tcking_at_usit.net>
Date: 7 Feb 1995 14:57:10 GMT

I've noticed that performance of Personal Oracle7 borders on the unacceptable for even primary key lookups on small tables. I'm running it on a 486DX2 with 16 meg. RAM and 16 meg swapfile. I'm accessing it through Visual Basic and ODBC (Oracle Objects looks nice, but I must be able to also run Informix on the back end).

There seems to be no difference across the three default configurations (PL/SQL, no PL/SQL, Windows default). I'm certainly no DBA and I don't want to start messing with the init parameters. The Whatcom 4.0 engine is approximately twice as fast while consuming one fourth of the memory.

Any thoughts on this?

--
Timothy King
tcking_at_usit.net