Re: Committing from a Forms 4.0 trigger

From: Ken Shirey <commdata_at_phoenix.phoenix.net>
Date: 7 Feb 1995 18:10:59 GMT

Peter-

Try setting the system varial SYSTEM.MESSAGE_LEVEL to 25 at the beginning of your script, then back to 5 at the end. This will suppress most messages (I believe including the 'no changes...')

Ken

Ken Shirey,
President

Commercial Data Systems, Inc                 Office: 713.337.7468
12519 D-Bar Drive                            Fax:    409.925.4387
Santa Fe, Texas 77510                        Mail:   commdata_at_phoenix.net

    I'm a CDE2 Ambassador:  Feel free to ask questions about ORACLE CDE2.
             ORACLE CDE2  -  Second-Generation Client-Server

Peter Walve
(sctwalve_at_kraken.itc.gu.edu.au) wrote: : Hello,

: I'm hoping someone can help me out with this annoying problem:

: Sample trigger on when-button-pressed in Forms 4.0..

: --------
: BEGIN

: IF :status = 'OK' THEN
: UPDATE othertable set status = :status where id = :id;
: COMMIT;

: end if;
: EXCEPTION
: WHEN NO_DATA_FOUND THEN
: INSERT INTO OTHERTABLE (etc.....);
: COMMIT;
: END;

: --------

: If I exclude the COMMIT; lines, the othertable is not updated immediately.
:
: If I include COMMIT; the othertable is updated but a message 'no changes to
: commit' appears. This is confusing to form users.

: Q. Is there any way to immediately modify an unrelated table from a
: trigger within Forms 4, either by a) hiding the annoying message,
: or b) committing only the change to the
: othertable, not the whole form?
: One way is to have a hidden dummy bind variable changing for each button
: press, is there anything easier?
:
: Many Thanks for any advice.

: Peter Walve