Re: DBtools.h++ any info?

From: Andy Carlson <andycarlson_at_attmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 15:20:06 GMT

In article <D3KABo.Lr0_at_actrix.gen.nz>, michael_at_atlantis.actrix.gen.nz says...

>So has anyone out there got an opinion on DBtools++ or Rogue Wave
>they'd care to share? Feel free to email or followup which ever you
>prefer.

Apparently iits currently out on Oracle on Windows and UNIX. Also on SQL Server and ODBC.

>we have to access an Oracle7 database. We've already written our own
>classes for the non-database aspect of our project, so we would
>something that we can graft on rather than something that would
>require us to hack our existing code too much.

I don't have DBTools, but from the stuff sent by their UK distributor, it seems similar from the public interface point of view to DB.H++. I'm looking at using it to provide RDBMS access for our OO system, but although it seems fine as a Wrapper for RDBMS, (Database, Table classes etc), it lacks any mechanisms for mapping to/from business domain objects.

We are now in a position where we either grow our own mapping mechanism or just use DBTools as a wrapper and use their public interface directly which does not seem to offer much advantage over Embedded SQL.

Hope this helps! Received on Tue Feb 07 1995 - 16:20:06 CET

Original text of this message