Re: splitting comp.databases.oracle, a volunteer and a proposal

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_helios.unl.edu>
Date: 7 Feb 1995 16:56:23 GMT

sac50216_at_saclink1.csus.edu (Eric Pierce) writes:

>I haven't seen any negative comments so far (1 week?)

Actually, I think I posted my note on Friday evening, so we probably need to wait a few more days to see if anybody objects strenuously. I don't forsee this happening, personally, and am willing to start drafting the charter this weekend. (This is best done via e-mail with a couple of volunteers.)

So far, based on posts to c.d.o and some private e-mail I've gotten, it looks like the only debatable topics are whether the .help and .beginner groups are really necessary, and whether there should be a group for Oracle Financials and other applications. (.financials or .apps both sound reasonable to me, are there any significant 3rd party applications based on Oracle?) So far no groundswell for a .case group has surfaced, so should CASE be a .tools or a .misc topic? (I lean towards .tools.)

I need to go see if the guidelines have changed much in the past few years. We need 200 'yes' votes and a 2/3rd majority to carry the day, as I recall. Has anybody kept track of how many folks are posting to this group?

Based on the experience in other newsgroups (most notably rec.arts.theatre) splitting the newsgroup up will actually INCREASE overall traffic. I don't have a good explanation for this.

Anybody else out there willing to become a moderator?

---
Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie
nolan_at_notes.tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.geis.com
(posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)