Re: Oracle on PC Running SCO - Why Not

From: Grant A. Anderson <granta_at_en.com>
Date: 5 Feb 1995 21:04:47 -0500

Burton V. Peltier (ep94bvps_at_shell.com) wrote:
: I am looking for arguments for OR against this type of configuration (Oracle
: DB Server on PC Running SCO/Unix) . Mainly looking for arguments on
: consideration of PC for the hardware. I am NOT looking for arguments on Oracle
: or Unix. I'm already sold on Oracle and Unix.

: It does not even get considered , but as inexpensive (especially compared to
: an HP or Sun Server Machine) as PCs are , it seems like we should be
: considering this option for medium to small DB Servers.

: This is a general question and I don't have any specific situation/numbers.
: --
: * Burt Peltier Shell Offshore ep94bvps_at_shell.com *
: * (504) 588-0179 701 Poydras #1660 New Orleans 70139*

I think you have to take into account your potential usage. This is a very good consideration, and many are using this type of setup today in supermarkets. A store may have only 5-8 users max on their back door processor, and many of the apps are not using Oracle, so this configuration works fine. You can also "beef up" the PC with speedy disks and lots of memory.

Grant Anderson Received on Mon Feb 06 1995 - 03:04:47 CET

Original text of this message