Re: Oracle APPC - anyone used it

From: Dave Dargo <ddargo_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 5 Feb 1995 21:03:18 GMT

a-cha <adrian_at_a-cha.demon.co.uk> writes:

>My clients will be starting a development in the next week or
>so that is intened to connect an Oracle Server system to
>some remote databases using Oracle APPC Procedural Gateway. As
>I understand it, this allows SNA Lu6.2 transactions to be defined
>in such away that they actually appear to be PL/SQL commands.
>
>Has anyone actually used this successfully? Oracle are telling
>me that it only runs on an RS/6000 system. Is this true? So much for
>cross platform development!

The Oracle Procedural Gateway for APPC allows any environment that can call PL/SQL stored procedures to call any APPC transaction. For example; An Oracle stored procedure can call a CICS transaction. The PG4APPC currently runs on an RS/6000 or HP/9000. It will be available shortly on Solaris 2.x.

In terms of cross platform development your clients can run on any platform. Your clients connect to an Oracle database and request the execution of stored procedures. Those stored procedures call the PG4APPC. As far as the client is concerned it is only calling Oracle stored procedures. The PG4APPC handles all of the mapping between the Oracle PL/SQL environment and the APPC/LU6.2 environment. As such you need no Oracle code on your target host environment.

Dave (ddargo_at_us.oracle.com) Received on Sun Feb 05 1995 - 22:03:18 CET

Original text of this message