Re: Very Large Database Support Inquiry...

From: Darryl Ramm <darrylr_at_wombat.engr.sgi.com>
Date: 5 Feb 1995 01:23:35 GMT

In article <3goojk$esg_at_tattoo.twinsun.com>, Burzin Engineer <burzin_at_twinsun.com> wrote:
>In article <goodman_alan-2601952025400001_at_168.87.77.14> goodman_alan_at_tandem.com (Alan Goodman) writes:
>>In article <D2vB5t.1x6_at_tfs.com>, marcs_at_tfs.com (I am Marc E. Strohwig) wrote:

[lines dleted]

>>If you are also interested in transaction processing then your choice is
>>limited to one - Tandem NonStop SQL.
>>
>This is not true anymore. Business sense finally dictated that being a
>world leader in DSS or batch DBS was not enough in the growing demand for
>OLTP type DB's. AT&T Teradata has just put a beta release of
>the Teradata DBS Unix Port, whose first impressions make it ideal for OLTP
>type work. I think its called NSDBS and runs on NCR 3550 which runs
>Unix System V.

Oh come on please. DBC is a pretty damn good DSS database, but getting pretty old, it gets impressive results especially because of close integration with the database accelerator hardware (PE and AMP modules) on the AT&T GIS 3600. As far as being a competitive open OLTP/DSS database forget it. Deploying DBC on the 35xx family may keep some locked in AT&T customers happy and it will give the AT&T sales reps somthing to sell against their friendly Oracle sales reps. There is no way that AT&T GIS is ever going to have an viable database offering against Oracle and the rest. Lack of tools and applications will stop DBC from spreading not to mention hardware vendors selling databases is a thing of the past...

Guess what some of the big Oracle DSS databases within AT&T run on ... three letters does not start with I, D or A :-)

>BTW the company is now called ATT Global Information Solutions.
>WWW access:http://www.attgis.com/

>Burzin N. Engineer |Tel. (310) 524 1800 | email: burzin_at_twinsun.com
>Twin Sun Inc. |Fax. (310) 524 1818 | MIME OkaY!

Cheers

Darryl

--
Darryl Ramm				Silicon Graphics
Database Marketing Manager		2011 North Shoreline Blvd.