Re: Very Large Database Support Inquiry...

From: Richard Finkelstein <finkel_at_links.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 1995 18:12:24

In article <3h09lq$nh_at_ixnews3.ix.netcom.com> finnert1_at_ix.netcom.com (Jim Finnerty) writes:

>Now that Oracle Rdb is included in the Oracle product set, there is
>another answer. Historically Rdb's target market has bee VLDB's with
>high availability and performance requirements, which is why Oracle Rdb
>holds the world record for performance on the TPC-A benchmark at, if
>memory serves, 3692 TPS. fwiw, that's *way* faster than the products
>mentioned above.

>If you need high availability and performance on a VLDB, you ought to
>check out Oracle Rdb... you might be pleasantly surprized.

> /jim (Oracle Rdb query optimizer)

>Opinions expressed are purely my own.

Hi Jim.

I always like Rdb and use to recommend it. However, with the takeover I have not been recommending Rdb because of the uncertainty concerning its future. It seems improbable to me that Oracle will continue to fund the development of two distinctly different RDBMSs which essentially compete against each other. It does not seem like a good business model since there is twice the development, marketing, and sales costs without a similar expansion in market. For this reason I think that Oracle will slowly migrate its Rdb customer base into Oracle (there is no rush) and during the interim put minimal efforts into further development of Rdb capabilities. Any comments?

Regards,

Rich
Richard Finkelstein
Performance Computing, Inc.
312-549-8325 (Voice)
312-549-4824 (Fax) Received on Sat Feb 04 1995 - 18:12:24 CET

Original text of this message