Re: Help: Rollbacks Keep Blowing Up-v7.1.4

From: <gsalem_at_ibm.net>
Date: 4 Feb 1995 18:45:03 GMT

In <3grp5p$c4k_at_lucy.infi.net>, bhunger_at_richmond.infi.net (Bill Hungerford) writes: Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
From: gsalem_at_ibm.net
Subject: Re: Help: Rollbacks Keep Blowing Up-v7.1.4 Reply-To: gsalem_at_ibm.net
>Multiple SQL scripts running on system are blowing up due to rollback
>segments ("snapshot too old").
>

>Also, it appears that when these jobs run, the rollback segments aren't
>going into extents.
>
>Any help on this headache will be *greatly appreciated.
>
>Bill Hungerford
>bhunger_at_richmond.infi.net
>(804)288-8827
Hi,
Snapshot too old is the error you get when you are fetching from an open cursor and the cursor is no more valid (due to rollback segments filling). I used to have this problems a lot, then I found that the best solution is: 1- to minimize the number of commits within a cursor loop, 2- in PLSQL and C progs try to use a cursor that can be restarted in a way

    not to process the same records twice (e.g. using a flag or ordering the     records in a way to avoid this problem. 3- catch the error and restart the cursor (close it then reopen and loop).

There is no easy solution for it.
hope this helps Received on Sat Feb 04 1995 - 19:45:03 CET

Original text of this message