Re: Personal Oracle

From: Douglas Hackney <hackneyd_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 3 Feb 1995 22:14:21 GMT

In <1995Feb2.225421_at_ynp.dialup.access.net> ynp_at_ynp.dialup.access.net (Youri N. Podchosov) writes:

>In article <3gq4ae$dlj_at_ixnews1.ix.netcom.com>, hackneyd_at_ix.netcom.com (Douglas
>Hackney) writes:
>
>[ part of message deleted ]
>
>|> When I tried to order the CD for PO7W last week I found that they are
>|> not shipping the product until 2/23, this according to the supervisor I
>|> spoke to at Oracle direct. Your best bet is to download from the web.
>|>
>|> (12 hrs _at_14.4, 4.5 hrs @56k FTP)
>
>How do you guys manage to get that slow speeds? I see these figures -
>10, 11, 12 hours - not for the first time, but I downloaded PO7 twice
>(last week): both transfers were at 14.4K, started at 1:00AM and ended
>at 5:40AM and 5:55AM resp. Taking in consideration some slowness of
>Oracle WWW server and known overheads for TCP/IP over PPP vs. DOS/Windows
>Zmodem over plain dial-in, I used to expect a throughput about 4M/hr
>(vs. 6+M/hr in DOS or Windows), which is pretty close to my experience.
>
>So why 12 hr to download 16M?
>
>[ part of message deleted ]

>| Youri N. Podchosov (ynp) *** Davidsohn & Son, Inc. NYC *** 718-234-4140 |
>| Internet: ynp_at_ynp.dialup.access.net CIS: 72723,2202 AOL: ynp, yourip |

I suspect that my internet gateway provider is rather sluggish. I know my web browser is much slower than my friend's that I have tried.

On the PO7W download, it took around 6 hours for the first 12 megs., then once the east coast woke up, it took another 6 hours for the last 4.

PS - I used the WWW server Doug! 8^)

Doug Hackney                                  hackneyd_at_ix.netcom.com