Re: ANSI SQL92 Standard (where can I find a copy)

From: David Flater <dave_at_case50.ncsl.nist.gov>
Date: 2 Feb 1995 17:30:15 GMT

In article <3gpb1b$aoq_at_news.csus.edu> sac50216_at_saclink1.csus.edu (Eric Pierce) writes:
>Stephen Zander (szander_at_tyndall2.tyndall.com.au) wrote:
>
>: Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the SQL92 standard?
>:
>: Is it available on the 'net somewhere, or do I have to give money
>: to my local standards organisation.
>:
>: Please reply via e-mail
>:
>: Stephen
>
>I found it in the WWW Oracle FAQ:
>
>(text or postscript)
>
>ftp://speckle.ncsl.nist.gov/isowg3/FIPSdocs/fip127-2.txt (or .ps)
>
>EP

That's not the ANSI SQL-92 standard. That's just the small FIPS document that includes it by reference. The actual standard is 600 pages.

Everybody sing along now:

Information Regarding On-Line Copies of SQL-1992

The current ANSI/ISO standard for Database Language SQL, usually known as SQL-92, is not legally available in electronic form. SQL-92 is copyrighted by ANSI and all rights have been reserved. A significant portion of ANSI's operating budget is derived from sales of standards documents. ANSI does not currently offer electronic versions of those documents, but this topic is being discussed.

For further information (or to purchase a copy of SQL-92) you may contact ANSI in the U.S.A. by calling 212-642-4900 after whatever prefix you need to dial into the U.S.

ANSI has granted NIST a non-transferable license to make an HTML translation of SQL-86, the most obsolete of the SQL standards, available for demonstration purposes. It can be reached at http://case50.ncsl.nist.gov/sql-86/. It is not a funded project and is not expected to be completed soon.

For the most part, questions about ANSI's copyright policies and access to ANSI standards, on-line or otherwise, should be directed to ANSI.

    Sincerely,

    David Flater
    NIST Database Languages Group
    1/9/95 Received on Thu Feb 02 1995 - 18:30:15 CET

Original text of this message