Info Needed on Oracle 7 Deficiencies

From: Brian Murray <MURRAY_at_uansv3.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 15:29:13 GMT

Good morning,
  I've been asked to compare Sybase system 10 to Oracle 7.1 and given 24 hours to do it. I've worked with Sybase before, so that end I've got covered, but I have had no exposure to Oracle 7.1. The only published analysis I've found compares Sybase to Oracle 6. The analysis is very pro-Sybase, but I would like to know if some of the following problems have been addressed. I would appreciate anyone who could confirm or deny whether the following are true in Oracle 7.1 running on a UNIX platform:

  1. Oracle launches a new process for each client connection (as oppposed to Sybase's threads) and each process needs about 1MB memory vs. 50K for a Sybase thread.
  2. Sybase's threaded architecture is much more sophisticated and robust than Oracles architecture (I know that's broad, but take a shot).
  3. Oracle does not support stored procedures or triggers as objects stored in the database.

Thanks for your attention. E-mail replies are welcome.

Brian Murray
Vanderbilt University
murray_at_uansv3.vanderbilt.edu Received on Thu Feb 02 1995 - 16:29:13 CET

Original text of this message