Re: Help with PO7 error when logging on

From: Douglas Hackney <hackneyd_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 2 Feb 1995 07:48:56 GMT

In <3gprur$mem_at_cville-srv.wam.umd.edu> alwong_at_wam.umd.edu (The Divine Being) writes:

> Obviously I am a newbie, I am having difficulties connecting
>into Oracle - SQL-Plus, SQL DBA.. Evertime I enter the default
>logon name. scott/tiger or sytem/manager it will give me the following
>errors.
>
> ora-01034: oracle not available
> ora-09243: smsget: error attaching to sga
> osd-01104: unable to attach to sga: sga does not exist.
>

>Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks.

I'm a newbie to PO7W also. I spent last week getting it up for a client project.

The only time I recall seeing this error was when I had forgotten to start the database up before trying to connect. Also, make sure you're trying to 'connect internal'.

Use the database manager to start up the database. The default password as shipped is 'Oracle'.

You'll also want to use the:
username: sys
pw: CHANGE_ON_INSTALL

to setup users and change default passwords, etc.

I had good luck getting PO7W up and connected to MS Access, importing databases, etc. Some challenges getting 3rd party tools to get hooked up to it with ODBC & native SQL*NET.

Also tried O7W workgroups Beta, it worked very well also, other than the object manager locking and/or crashing pretty regularly. Amazingly stable considering how many times I had to reboot (SOP with windows).

Doug Hackney                                  hackneyd_at_ix.netcom.com