Re: Oracle for Windows NT !

From: Richard Redmond <rredmond_at_metronet.com>
Date: 2 Feb 1995 21:31:47 GMT

In article <3glkso$m72_at_zebedee.ingres.co.uk>, jonm_at_nessie.be.ingres.com says...

>Ask your Oracle salesman. In between gulps of fine wine and his next
>business lunch, he will assure you it is more capable than he could
>possible describe in words. It probably beats the pants off anything
>else that runs on NT (or ever will) etc etc etc (fill your glass?).
>
>Jon
>--
>#include <disclaimer.h>
>+--------------------Reply to jonm_at_ingres.com-------------------------+
>| Then when the number of dwarfs dropped from 50 to 8. The other |
>| dwarfs looked *very* suspiciously at 'Hungry' |

>| Jon Machtynger(jonm_at_ingres.com) |
>| Bvd de la Woluwe 34 Bte. 13 |
>| Brussels. Belgium. Ph: 02-774 49 23 Fax: 02-773 28 09 |

I work for a large global telecommunications supplier who uses both Oracle and Ingres. Over the years, I have discovered that there is not much difference between the two in most cases. Yes, differences in development tools and server performance weigh in, but both have taken turns being a real pain in the rear. A majority of our problems had to do with the specific release and the platform of choice. Note that the bug list can differ greatly between platforms on the same release.

Generally speaking, you can...

  1. Take with a grain of salt what anyone with "ingres" or "oracle" in their email address says to you. Both our Ingres salesman and Oracle salesman were easy to give away a coffee cup complete with logo but damn hard to get a current bug list or a copy of a trade publication product review for any new software we were anticipating to purchase.

   By the way, our Ingres salesman drove a Lexus and our Oracle salesman,    he drives a big BMW!

2. Expect that database software ported to new operating systems such as

   Windows NT or written from the ground up for Windows will take a couple    of releases to work the bugs out. Be cautious about putting critical    data on unproven systems.

...boiled down, do your homework! Received on Thu Feb 02 1995 - 22:31:47 CET

Original text of this message