Re: Very Large Database Support Inquiry...

From: Burzin Engineer <burzin_at_twinsun.com>
Date: 1 Feb 1995 19:51:50 GMT

In article <goodman_alan-2601952025400001_at_168.87.77.14> goodman_alan_at_tandem.com (Alan Goodman) writes:
>In article <D2vB5t.1x6_at_tfs.com>, marcs_at_tfs.com (I am Marc E. Strohwig) wrote:
>
>: Greeting,
>: I'm try to locate some real world cases that have used one of
>: the popular RDBMS products to manage Very Large Databases - on the
>: order of 500 Gigabyte to 1 Terabyte. What I have on hear-say is that
>: Oracle does a so-so job, Informix is supposed to do a good job but is
>: too new and unproven and Sybase is pretty much unusable since it has
>: some sort of problem scaling past 4-CPUs on an SMP system.
>:
>: Can anyone comment? Recommend?
>:
>: Thanx,
>: _Marc
>
>Marc,
>
>If you are interested in doing decision support this size database then you
>are limited to only two vendors with good real world examples. These are Tandem
>NonStop SQL and AT&T Teradata.
>
>If you are also interested in transaction processing then your choice is
>limited to one - Tandem NonStop SQL.

This is not true anymore. Business sense finally dictated that being a world leader in DSS or batch DBS was not enough in the growing demand for OLTP type DB's. AT&T Teradata has just put a beta release of the Teradata DBS Unix Port, whose first impressions make it ideal for OLTP type work. I think its called NSDBS and runs on NCR 3550 which runs Unix System V.
BTW the company is now called ATT Global Information Solutions. WWW access:http://www.attgis.com/

>Of course I am biased, but you will probably get the same answer from most
>independant consultants also.
>
>Alan
>goodman_alan_at_tandem.com
>
>(see also http://www.tandem.com/)

Of course my opinions are mine and mine alone.. #include <disclaimer.h>

Burzin

Burzin N. Engineer	   |Tel. (310) 524 1800	| email: burzin_at_twinsun.com
Twin Sun Inc.		   |Fax. (310) 524 1818	| MIME OkaY!