Re: SQL*Plus random function

From: DavidJRoth <davidjroth_at_aol.com>
Date: 1 Feb 1995 16:03:47 -0500

>Does anyone know of a good pseudo random number function which can
>be constructed solely of existing SQL*Plus arithmetic functions?

>Something equivalent to rand() in the C stdlib.

I posted an enhancement request on this about 2 years ago when I was still working for Oracle Consulting. It was ignored. You're best bet will be to try to get one of the user groups to request the new function through surveys Oracle does every year or so.

In the interim you can write your own function as a PL/SQL function. In Oracle 7.1 and hire you can reference your own functions anywhere you can reference Oracle built in functions.

David Roth

Carty Mailloux Consulting                        All opinions expressed
UNIX Client/Server System Integrators      are my own.
(508) 392-1300x20 Received on Wed Feb 01 1995 - 22:03:47 CET

Original text of this message