[Q] SQL Oracle 7 & Web Integration?

From: Edward D. Silver <edsilver_at_omni.voicenet.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 1995 16:11:57 -0500

Two questions about Oracle 7 on a DEC Alpha Server 1000 4/200 running OSF/1.

  1. When an HTML Server [Netsite] sends queries via CGI's to Oracle 7 how does Oracle deal with the requests for information? Say 10 people ask for information from the DB via the WWW does Oracle deal with all 10 at the same time? I ask because Oracle charges per named users, but if the HTML server is sending the requests for info to the database isn't that just one user (one process)? Has anyone else dealt with this problem? We are obvioucly trying to keep costs down.
  2. Has anyone had any practical experience setting up Oracle 7 for access via the WWW in this manner? Are there better DB's for this to be used on the OSF/1 platform? And do you have any advice or tips in general about doing this? (I have seen the article on the cover of _Information Age_ but it is vague and does not give any dates for the software.)

Please Email responses if possible.

Edward D. Silver
InterNetwork Publishing Corporation
edsilver_at_omni.voicenet.com Received on Wed Feb 01 1995 - 22:11:57 CET

Original text of this message