Re: ORACLE 7.0

From: Edward L Dansker <edansker_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 31 Jan 1995 13:42:01 GMT

kalyanas_at_stimpy.eecis.udel.edu (Pramod Kalyanasundaram) writes:

>Hi!
> I have the following questions and would appreciate any
> help.
>
> 1. How does one delete fields from a table? Is there a
> programmatic way of doing this?
>
> 2. How does one find out (programmatically) the key
> definition for a table (primary and/or secondary).
>
>Thanks,
>Pramod.

Columns cannot be deleted or dropped from tables - this according to the ANSI standard. Create a new table AS select from the old table without the columns to be dropped.

You can find out what the primary key is only if it was defined with the primary key constraint during column creation. An alternative is to query one of the _INDEXES dictionary views to ascertain which indexes are unique.

Regards,

Ed Received on Tue Jan 31 1995 - 14:42:01 CET

Original text of this message