Re: Mainframe access to ORACLE on UNIX

From: Dave Dargo <ddargo_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 30 Jan 1995 23:02:24 GMT

tbrav_at_ctp.com (Tony Bravo) writes:

>We would like to be able to access a UNIX-based ORACLE RDBMS
>from an IBM mainframe. I know that ORACLE has various
>"Transparent Gateways" but I believe these generally work
>in one direction only (i.e. allowing the UNIX RDBMS to
>access DB2 for example).
>
>Does anyone know if it's possible to write a COBOL program,
>for example, on the mainframe that could access the ORACLE
>RDBMS on the UNIX box via DRDA or some other mechanism.
>
>Thanks,
>Tony Bravo
>tbrav_at_ctp.com

Oracle supports MVS as either a database server (current release 7.1.4) and/or a database client. We support CICS, batch and TSO (as well as Oracle7 for MVS) as clients. Support for CICS includes support for CICS SYNCPOINT so that you can have two phase commit between Oracle7 and other CICS recoverable resources.

The products you would be interested in are:

The Oracle Pre-compilers
SQL*Net for MVS (we support both APPC/LU6.2 and TCP/IP) Access Manager for CICS (if you need access from CICS)

Dave Dargo (ddargo_at_us.oracle.com)
Mainframe and Integration Technologies
Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Jan 31 1995 - 00:02:24 CET

Original text of this message