Re: Data Warehousing With Oracle

From: Rich Gaston <75457.515_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 31 Jan 1995 00:09:37 GMT

woops, I didn't notice these followups until today...

  1. I'd be interested in participating in a panel discussion if, of course, you'd be willing to fly me out and put me up in a decent hotel ;-) not a chance, right? can't hurt to ask...
  2. Regarding David's comments, we're aware of TABLE and COLUMN COMMENTS in the Oracle7 data dictionary, but I need the ability to create additional DBA-defined columns which would be used to drive my data mining tools. If I could create columns like DATA_SOURCE, USE, and WARNINGS), then I could point client tools to the dictionary and make this a part of the users' "home base" from which they could explore and/or submit questions, suggestions, etc.

We're big trigger-users, the thing that's not supported by Oracle is triggers on data dictionary objects (ie: trap a new column insert in the DD and automatically create a corresponding record in a related dictionary extension table.

There are several features on Oracle's "wish list" which relate directly to warehousing. I'd definitely be interested in following up on this topic.

Rich Gaston, Bay Area CellularOne. SF CA Received on Tue Jan 31 1995 - 01:09:37 CET

Original text of this message