Re: Oracle on DEC ALPHA

From: Rich Gaston <75457.515_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 31 Jan 1995 00:34:15 GMT

Thanks for the response, Lisa. I think the absense of a response from an Oracle rep says a lot about this issue...

We're an OpenVMS shop and I have to say that a number of our developers (coming from Oracle/UNIX backgrounds) agree that we're getting neither the price/performance nor the price/support that we would expect, given our company's significant investment in hardware and software.
While there's still some room for tuning in our environment, I'm still standing by my claim that our $100k+ machine could be out-performed by a $30k Sun box. That's bad. Regardless of tuning and performance, Oracle's support for VMS and DECNet are clearly not on the top of the list. I would like to see a comparison of the # of Oracle tech bulletins written for UNIX vs. those written (or even translated) for VMS systems. We're comfortable with Oracle's RDBMS release schedule, but not their level of support for VMS production systems.

Rich Gaston
Bay Area CellularOne
SSF CA Received on Tue Jan 31 1995 - 01:34:15 CET

Original text of this message