Re: Q: Hardware Requirements for Forms 4.5 Development

From: Tony Rothwell <Tony_at_santen.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 1995 16:37:01 +0000

In article <AB4FF0F2966861FCE_at_dryland.demon.co.uk>

           rjj_at_dryland.demon.co.uk "Robert Jones" writes:

> We have just ordered CDE2 and Oracle for Windows on CD. I have
> been asked to spec up a stand-alone PC to evaluate this and perhaps
> do some initial development and conversion from Forms 3.0.
>
> Anyone got any recommendations for hardware requirements?
> I was looking at Dell P100 Pentium 16Mb RAM, 1Gb disk.

Hi Robert

From my experience with CDE, memory is what you need most.

NB. The figures I'm talking about here are *development*,

    not runtime:

I've run Forms 4.0 and Book with local ORACLE V6 on a 486-33 with 16Mb, and performance was fine. Running another tool (Graphics) tended to slow things to an unacceptable level.

I think the recommendation for Personal Oracle7 is 12Mb, so I'd look at 24Mb as being the realistic minimum to run this and CDE2 on the same machine. If you plan to run more than one tool simultaneously, I'd consider more memory (say 32Mb), though this may be over the top just for an evaluation.

As a serious development machine, running both Personal Oracle7 and CDE2, I'm looking to be using a P90, 32M, 1Gb.

On a different note, are Oracle UK giving firm(ish) dates yet for delivery/availability of CDE2 Tools? Thanks.

Tony Rothwell                                          tony_at_santen.demon.co.uk