Re: FORMS 3 help needed

From: Michael Hatzinger <Michael.Hatzinger_at_bmwf.gv.at>
Date: 28 Jan 1995 19:13:02 GMT

proberts_at_iglou.iglou.com (Phil Roberts) wrote:

> I have a newbie question. Please answer if you can.
>
> When using SQL*Forms 3 how do I limit what data can be input into a field?
> I want to allow only three values to be input into the field. Only an 'A',
> 'B', or 'C' can be input. I haven't figured out how to keep other characters
> from being input in the field.
>
> As the input people do data entry they sometimes rush and enter other
> characters without checking their input. I must eliminate this through some
> means so that they can only enter the 'A', 'B', or 'C'. How is this done?
>

> Phil Roberts | proberts_at_iglou.com
> IgLou - The Internet Gateway of Louisville

Hi !

Create a "on-validate-field" trigger on this field with a "if then else" statement and RAISE an application error with a message if it is not within the allowed messages, like

IF :block.field NOT IN ('A','B','C') THEN

   MESSAGE('Not a valid value.');
   RAISE FORM_TRIGGER_FAILURE;
END IF; Mike Received on Sat Jan 28 1995 - 20:13:02 CET

Original text of this message