Re: Oracle? Are you happy with it?

From: Craig Kasold <cdg_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 28 Jan 1995 02:35:31 GMT

In <stephenkD31IGB.J5t_at_netcom.com> stephenk_at_netcom.com (Stephen Knilans) writes:

>Hi all! I work for a company that makes several products that are
 STAND ALONE.
>This concept, unfortunately, seems very foreign to many "DBA"s, and I
 have had
>many hard problems, which I have luckily almost totally resolved. My
 company
>has recently gotten its FOURTH request for Sybase support, and all four
 happened
>in the past 4 months or so! One of the companies requesting is a
 current
>customer, and hopefully we will be able to use them to fully test the
 sybase
>portion of the code I wrote to make DBL(the language our apps are
 written in)
>work TRANSPARANTLY with various SQL servers and other DBMS methods.
>
>My problem is that sybase is only one of the more popular databases,
 they are
>not interested in making things easy, and they are EXPENSIVE! I called
 ingres,
>and they were much the same.
>
>Maybe it is just luck, but ORACLE was a different story! I reached
 someone
>that was a new person that was VERY appologetic for being so
 slow(though he
>answered questions faster than most places(including ingres and
 sybase), and
>I got nearly every question answered! To beat THAT, it costs about 1/3
 of
>what sybase costs! They also appear to support most of the platforms
 we do,
>and ALL that our customers currently use. Sybase only supports about
 50% of
>our customer base. All this without mentioning that they have 3 times
 the
>market share, or the fact it is supposed to be faster.
>
>How about YOU? Do you think it is fast? How does it run on SCO? Does
 it have
>a lot of third party support? How does it run under Dos or windows?
>
>Steve

Steve,

   ORACLE is very much in touch with todays need for client/server needs. The CDE2 tools proof this without a doubt.. ORACLE v71 may be your best best, depending on what your customers need, However, I don't thing that there are many (if any ) products that can beat the CDE2 tools. Stay/get with ORCALE.
Craig
cdg_at_ix.netcom.com Received on Sat Jan 28 1995 - 03:35:31 CET

Original text of this message