Re: Distributed Oracle - what does it take?

From: Bob Swisshelm <swisshelm_at_lilly.com>
Date: 27 Jan 95 08:20:14 EST

In article <1995Jan26.173534.22922_at_mksol.dseg.ti.com> Tommy Johnson, tjohnson_at_ms3.dseg.ti.com writes:

Actually, it sounds like you want a distributed application, rather than a distributed database. By my definition, a distributed application is where the tool is run on one machine, and the database is on another. A distributed database is where you update data on more that one database in a single unit of work.

A distributed application can be handled via SQL*Net, and does not require the distributed option in ORACLE.

So, suppose that you want to run your unix tool, but against a VMS ORACLE database.

  1. Log onto the unix box
  2. Make sure that your path includes $ORACLE_HOME/bin. The best way to do that is to run the coraenv or oraenv script provided by Oracle. I'm not familiar with ORACLE on HP, but I think that those files are probably in /usr/local/bin. When you run the script, you can give a local instance name. 3a. Connect to your tool. When asked for the oracle connect string, append the sql*net connect string. Here is a SQL*Net v1 example

% sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 3.1.2.3.1 - Production on Fri Jan 27 08:10:25 1995

Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1992. All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: scott/tiger_at_t:oravax.d99.lilly.com:dev

Connected to:
ORACLE7 Server Release 7.0.16.4.0 - Production With the procedural, distributed, and Parallel Server options PL/SQL Release 2.0.18.1.0 - Production

SQL> You are now running SQLPLUS on the HP, but connected to the VAX database.

3b. To make it easier on the user, you can set the TWO_TASK variable to contain the sql*net connect string. In that case, the remote database becomes the user's default database, and they only have to specify the username/password.

% setenv TWO_TASK t:oravax.d99.lilly.com:dev % sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 3.1.2.3.1 - Production on Fri Jan 27 08:14:45 1995

Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1992. All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: scott/tiger

Connected to:
ORACLE7 Server Release 7.0.16.4.0 - Production With the procedural, distributed, and Parallel Server options PL/SQL Release 2.0.18.1.0 - Production

SQL> Note: you can do the same thing with VMS as the client. The VMS logical that you need to set is ora_dflt_hoststr.

Bob

>Our system is HP-UX with Oracle 7.0.16.4.0, and another department has
 Oracle
>on a VAX/VMS system (belive this is also 7.0.16). The other department
 has
>a tool they want to implement which doesn't have aVAX/VMS version, so
 the
>idea is to link the two Oracle systems as a distributed database,
 install the
>tool on our HP-UX system and use it to hit their VAX/VMS database's
 tables.

>1) Is this feasible? possible? advisiable?
>
>2) How hard would it be to implement, assuming both Oracle's have the
> distributed option, to set this up? I'm assuming that they would
 have to
> convert their database to a distributed database and make our system
> node, however all the tables would reside on their system - our node
 would
> just be a window on their database for the tool to work through.
>

>Any advice is much appreciate, as I'm new to the idea of distributed
 databases
>in general.

Bob Swisshelm                | swisshelm_at_Lilly.com     | 317 276 5472
Eli Lilly and Company        | Lilly Corporate Center  | Indianapolis, IN
46285 Received on Fri Jan 27 1995 - 14:20:14 CET

Original text of this message