Re: Oracle ww/ftp server

From: Doug Bitting <dbitting_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 16:40:47 -0800

In article <cheema.790993618_at_nntp.msstate.edu>, cheema_at_earth.sparco.com (Mubashir Cheema) wrote:

>campbell_at_mindspring.com (Tom Campbell) writes:
>
>>The ftp/www site for the download of Personal Oracle and Workgroup Oracle
>>seems to busy for pratical download ( 4meg in 5 hours ). Is there a
>>mirror anywhere ??
>
> I just tried to download and boy, is this thing slow ?
>Mubashir Cheema

Mubashir,

Oracle has done everything we can to ensure that everyone can access our server. We have a dedicated T1 line (and a T3 is on order) for the server. There is so much more to the Internet than just the machine which is being accessed. If there is a router or hub between you and Oracle's WWW site, then you will notice a degradation in download speed. Furthermore, Oracle's WWW site is being bombarded with many requests to download 16 and 17MB files. Servicing just a few of these simultaneously will bring pretty much any machine's I/O performance down several notches. Add on top of that all the Web traffic generated to the machine, and you have slow connections at peak hours.

If you try to download the software at off hours, you will notice very good performance (I clocked it at ~60K/second from Redwood City, CA -> New Haven, CT recently ... but I did the download at 11PM PST).

Wondering why Oracle's Web server is slow during peak hours is kind of like wondering why you can't drive 90 miles an hour on the Santa Monica Freeway during rush-hour.

--Doug

--
Doug Bitting
Oracle Worldwide Customer Support / Apple Desktop Products Group