Re: Data Warehousing With Oracle

From: DavidJRoth <davidjroth_at_aol.com>
Date: 26 Jan 1995 20:18:09 -0500

>From: Rich Gaston <75457.515_at_CompuServe.COM>
>Date: 26 Jan 1995 00:48:31 GMT

>no means for adding comments and descriptions to data dictionary items.
You can add comments to tables and columns. Use COMMENT ON TABLE tablename IS '....' or COMMENT ON COLUMN tablename.columnname IS '...." ...
>Triggers against data dictionary objects are "not supported"

Triggers on tables are suppored for INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE but not for SELECT. You can use views to prepackage basic queires that users may need.

By the way there was a study a while back (unfortunately I do not remember the source) that found that most attampts to turn users lose against a database failed because the users did not have enough understanding of the under lying data model.

David Roth

Carty Mailloux Consulting                        All opinions expressed
are my own.
UNIX Client/Server System Integrators      Please that them for what they
are
(508) 392-1300x20                                  worth.