Re: Very Large Database Support Inquiry...

From: Alan Goodman <goodman_alan_at_tandem.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 20:25:40 GMT

In article <D2vB5t.1x6_at_tfs.com>, marcs_at_tfs.com (I am Marc E. Strohwig) wrote:

: Greeting,
: I'm try to locate some real world cases that have used one of
: the popular RDBMS products to manage Very Large Databases - on the
: order of 500 Gigabyte to 1 Terabyte. What I have on hear-say is that
: Oracle does a so-so job, Informix is supposed to do a good job but is
: too new and unproven and Sybase is pretty much unusable since it has
: some sort of problem scaling past 4-CPUs on an SMP system.
:
: Can anyone comment? Recommend?
:
: Thanx,
: _Marc

Marc,

If you are interested in doing decision support this size database then you are limited to only two vendors with good real world examples. These are Tandem NonStop SQL and AT&T Teradata.

If you are also interested in transaction processing then your choice is limited to one - Tandem NonStop SQL.

Of course I am biased, but you will probably get the same answer from most independant consultants also.

Alan
goodman_alan_at_tandem.com

(see also http://www.tandem.com/) Received on Thu Jan 26 1995 - 21:25:40 CET

Original text of this message