"sgadef.dbf" file's privileges and oracle's owner during installation.

From: Pat Spinler <pats_at_coyote.ceramics.mot.com>
Date: 26 Jan 1995 00:39:28 GMT

Hi,

Whenever I start my database, the SGADEF.DBF file in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs always has its privledges set to:

  -rw-rw---- 1 pats dba 68 Jan 24 12:29 sgadefflex.dbf

Whenever I do a startup, I end up doing a manual 'chmod' to add read privs for other, so that my clients can connect.

Is there a way to get oracle to do this automatically when the database is started ?

I'm running Oracle 7.0.16.4.0 and HP-UX 9.03

Also, I'm installing some new software on my system. The current installation is owned by the user "oracle2". When I am logged in as this user and running "orainst", I am asked for the username of the oracle owner. However when orainst asks:

"Enter the name of the ORACLE owner:"

and I respond with "oracle2", I get the error:

"The user oracle2 does not exist. Please enter the name of a valid
   user."

No error or other information which is apparently related to this appears in the install log. Does anyone have any idea what is happening ?

Thanks !
-- Pat

ps. Please respond via email to "harley_at_ceramics.mot.com". My email is

     still non-functional. :(
pps. Special thanks to those who responded to my prior query about the #

     of processes connected to oracle.  (Michael Rudolph, Garry D.
     Robbins, and Roderick Manalac).   Boosting the kernel parameter
     SEMMNS solved my problem.