Re: Oracle ww/ftp server

From: Mubashir Cheema <cheema_at_earth.sparco.com>
Date: 25 Jan 1995 20:51:08 -0600

martin_at_pollux.edv.agrar.tu-muenchen.de (Martin Josko (DVS)) writes:

>The only chance for me to load Personal Oracle7 was the weekend.
>I think it's nearly impossible to get it during the week.

>SO, WHERE ARE THE MIRRORS ???
 There are NO mirrors, as far as I know. None mentioned on the Oracle web  server either. I think they should immediately seperate the ftp server  machine from the web server machine. Currently they have both on the same  machine and when the ftp server is too busy serving files, people start  getting "Server is refusing connections" message. Web server itself is  probably not putting alot of load on the machine, its the ftp server  thats killing it.

 To Oracle : Find a couple of Pentium or 486 machines and load them up  with Linux and fire up wuftpd and set them up as mirror ftp servers and  you will make alot people happy.

 To sysadmin of www.oracle.com : All links to ftp-able files are pointing  to www.oracle.com. Why were they hard coded like that and not to the  more standard ftp.oracle.com ? You used the Microsoft approach when they  were writing MS-DOS. Nobody will ever need anything more than 640K of  memory. You probably thought that your machine will never get too heavily  loaded and need seperation from the ftp server. Have fun, finding and  changing all the links.

 Mubashir Cheema Received on Thu Jan 26 1995 - 03:51:08 CET

Original text of this message