Re: Data Warehousing With Oracle

From: SANS'95 Conference Office <sans_at_clark.net>
Date: 26 Jan 1995 01:11:29 GMT

Rich Gaston (75457.515_at_CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: Bay Area CellularOne is developing a warehouse using Oracle and
: although I don't think we'd have too much interesting material
: for the conference, I do have one big wish-list item for you.
: Oracle needs to build in support for "meta-data" within the data
: dictionary. Right now, we have no means for adding comments and
: descriptions to data dictionary items. Triggers against data
: dictionary objects are "not supported", so I can't develop a
: solid dictionary extension object even if i had the time to do
: so. In order to give users convenient and reliable access to the
: warehouse, we have to spend umpteen million hours analyzing (ie:
: guessing at) the users' usage patterns and creating adequate
: protection so they don't 1) create queries that bring the
: database to its knees 2) wait for hours for query returns only to
: discover that the data is not what they want or 3) get and use
: data based on incorrect assumptions regarding the source or
: meaning of that data.
: An extensible data dictionary would allow me to comment and
: describe the hell out of my incoming data and then point my query
: builders towards that extended dictionary so users know what they
: can get and how to get it.
: There are lots and lots of technical and architectural issues for
: Oracle to address in making Oracle 8 more warehouse-friendly, but
: in my opinion, this is on the top of the list.
: Rich Gaston, CellularOne
: Rich Gaston, CellularOne

Rich, I am posting this instead of responding directly to you because there may be others with similar or dissimilar requests for capabilities needed to make Oracle more warehouse friendly. If we can find three people (perhaps you and two others with experience and a willingness to be heard), we'll do a panel at the conference on "What's missing in Oracle to make it data warehouse friendly."

Are you willing?

Paul Received on Thu Jan 26 1995 - 02:11:29 CET

Original text of this message